Wednesday, September 5, 2007

A Single Tear

Hey guys, this is the poem I told Josh I would post on my blog, it's creative nonfiction poetry... not that i think that term needs the word "creative." I like it for the most part, and I love most of it. The last line is a little iffy... but it at least keeps with the rhyming scheme. If you have any comments or ideas for it, I'd appreciate them. I'm good at taking criticism. :-)

A single tear falls down my cheek as I think of what I've lost.
I think about the pleasure felt, and all the pain it's cost.
The love I'd felt for someone who would never feel the same.
The pleading that I did to keep the one that caused my shame.
I was not whole or happy when we first said that it was over.
I thought my heart would heal with time and that I would recover.
Over time as we would talk and we hung out together
I realized what I felt for him would burn in me forever.
I thought that maybe one day he would say he felt love too
But then he sent the message: he had found somebody new.
She was who he felt for, what I still feel for him,
And she feels the same way, and I'm alone again.
The tears fall faster as I think of all I'll never be.
The wife and mother of the kids he used to want from me.
The one he would come home to, kiss each and every day.
The one he said he'd always love in each and every way.
There would be no couch to lie on at night with the kids in bed
There would be no holidays to share or sweet nothings said.
She would have his kisses, and she would make him smile
She would hear sweet nothings, and love him for a while.
My heart begins to break to bits as I remember when
My love and I would gently stroke and kiss each other's skin,
I know that one day I'll be fine and happy with my life.
But I will not give my heart again, I can't take that pain and strife.

No comments: