Monday, September 10, 2007

Personal Essay Update

Hey guys, I just thought I'd let you know that I have most of my story finished, but I'm not exactly happy with it. What started out as a Taoist look at freedom in the form of nearly drowning has quickly become a thirteen year-old's diary. Not so motivating or meaningful. It also isn't the required length just yet, and I don't know where I can expand it without it becoming forced or boring. I only need another page, but thinking ahead I'm not sure I would be able to expand it again to the full ten. Tomorrow we only need five, right?

1 comment:

Josh said...

Well, first of all, let me point out that our drafts aren't due tomorrow--although someone's will be due on Thursday. So no need to panic just yet. :)

As to where to go next--why do you think this feels like a diary to you? What are you seeing in your writing that's giving you that impression? I think I'd look for those areas that sound most diary-y and try to think of ways to do them differently--in scenes, maybe, or in dialog. Instead of saying "I felt like X," how did that feeling manifest itself? What did you do differently? Just an idea.
-J